Monday, December 14, 2009

Eggnog

My family’s eggnog has been around almost as long as I have. It was first made by my dad to celebrate my birth on Christmas Eve. The next year, they changed the recipe, and it is as printed below.
Eggnog is essentially a custard, made by heating egg yolks, milk and sugar over the stove slowly until the mixture coats the spoon. Then, it is cooled, whipped egg whites and vanilla are added, and the mixture is allowed to settle over night.
For me, eggnog is a matter of balance. It can be too eggy, too nutmegy, or perhaps worst, simply an alcohol delivery system. There should be alcohol in eggnog, yes, but a capful or a little more per cup. It is there to cut the richness. I prefer Myer’s rum, as the vanilla notes work well with the eggnog, but whiskey or brandy work as well.
Eggnog, like all holiday rituals, is as much about its past as its present. I remember making it with my brothers and father (my mother was responsible for the fruitcake that was always served with it) from an early age and each time I drink it, I think of those times.

Here is my dad’s recipe. Enjoy.

Recipe for 1.5 quart of eggnog
Ingredients
1/3 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups whole milk (1 Q)
4 egg whites
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Brandy or rum to flavor
Brandy or rum to add when drinking plus nutmeg to sprinkle over nog
1/2 cup heavy cream (whipped)--optional

Instructions
Separate egg whites and yolks, being careful not to get yellow into the whites.
Beat 1/3 cup sugar into egg yolks, add salt and stir in milk.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats spoon.
Cool (the fast way is to put the pan in a basin of cold water)
While the yolk mixture cools, beat egg whites until foamy, add sugar slowly while continuing to beat until soft peaks appear.
Add cool yolk mixture and mix thoroughly.
Add flavorings, stir well, and put in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
When ready to serve, put into punch bowl, add rum or brandy (this can be done for the individual glasses to accomodate different amounts and types of alcohol), dot eggnog with islands of whipped cream (optional), and sprinkle with nutmeg (preferably fresh ground)
6 to 8 servings
NOTE: I usually make three quarts at a time, which means that you double the recipe (use a half gallon of milk), except for the salt

3 comments:

  1. I really like this post. The thought of your family all making egg nog together is nice. My son has recently decided that Egg Nog is prehaps the best beverage ever and drinks it at every meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post too. Born on Christmas Eve, toasted and baptized with eggnog, continuing the tradition with the men in the kitchen providing. A lovely story, and so fitting for you. AND this recipe is beautiful. Whipped cream optional?? I think NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made your Dubanog tonight, brother. I thought of you and the first time you had me drink rum as well. On what would have been your 43rd, here's to you.

    ReplyDelete